Loud Base is a powerhouse of promoting the four elements of Hip Hop in Africa. Our goal is to sustain the positive development of Hip Hop culture in Africa. Our mission is to re-birth Hip Hop in Africa by encouraging and empowering young practitioners of HipHop culture and bring strong awareness and exciting moments for lovers of Hip Hop to appreciate.
Loud Base was formed in Nigeria in 2018 with the purpose of committing African Hip Hop practitioners to value the home-based platforms that promote their Art. In 2019 Loud Base became actively involved in engaging, networking with and connecting professional Hip Hop practitioners around the world to help create a focus in Africa and implement viable and beneficial contents in and from Africa. The main purpose is to give young African Hip-Hop practitioners a good sense of achievement, inspiration and motivation, and to create opportunities for them to build successful careers and live productive, fulfilling lives.
We have done this by:
· Providing professional tutors, in Africa, in the diaspora and from around the world to engage in dance and music exchanges, facilitating workshops and competitions
· Facilitating opportunities for dancers and musicians from various countries and continents in the world to connect with and participate in the varied and diverse African Hip-hop scenes
· Creating an ‘African first’ Hip Hop Conference to connect grassroots and established practitioners and organisations across the continent and in the diaspora to come together and interchange ideas on how to develop Hip Hop in Africa.
After a year of planning, Loud Base successfully organised the first annual ‘Hip Hop Induction: African Hip Hop Festival’ from July to September 2020. This was no small feat. Having secured nearly all the necessary funding through sponsorships and partnerships, the Covid-19 global crisis hit; venues closed, international artists could not attend and we lost the majority of our funding. Showing our fight, spirit and the strength of our community, we persevered, moved the festival online and produced:
· A global Hip Hop dance competition with 100 dancers competing from their homes in 12 counties
· The first ever End of Weak MC Challenge held for Nigerian lyricists. This competition brought Nigeria into a global community founded in New York City that has been running for 20 years, has chapters in 20+ countries on 5 continents, and has been co-signed by the likes of Lupe Fiasco, Immortal Technique and KRS One.
· A global building session with Hip Hop practitioners and organisations throughout Africa, in the diaspora and around the world, networking, discussing and connecting to continue pushing African Hip Hop forward through the next decade and beyond.
Despite the adversity we faced, not only from Covid-19 but also from the pressures that led to the nationwide #EndSARS campaign, ‘Hip Hop Induction 2020’ was a huge success. We plan to continue this great work into 2021, beginning with our first event (live in Lagos and online globally) in March 2021, and aiming to build towards ‘Hip Hop Induction 2021’ this summer.
Thanks to our amazing partners and with the support of our global community, we raised enough money to fund Hip Hop Induction 2020 and realised the power of crowd sourcing and of our global community. The love and support we received was incredible; we see that people really value what we are doing, and we aim to continue doing it, improving the lives, careers and opportunities available to all the incredible dancers, emcees/beatboxers, deejays, graffiti writers and livers of Hip Hop culture across Africa.
We know and appreciate that it is a difficult time for many people across the world right now. With that said, we feel that Africa and the world, perhaps now more than ever, need the principles that Hip Hop stands for and Loud Base is founded on; peace, love, unity and having fun, people power, each one teach one and communities helping themselves and each other to improve the lives of those who make up the community. Please become part of our global African Hip Hop community and give whether you can to support the growth and development of African Hip Hop.
The GoFundMe page can be found here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/hip-hop-induction-lagos?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow‑1
Alongside money we will attempt to source from sponsorship, the money you send will be spent on:
· Venue hire (with full online streaming capabilities)
· PA Hire
· Designing/building the stage/set, including materials and labour
· Prize money for competition winners
· Merchandise to use as prizes for competitors continue funding our projects
· To pay camera people, videographers, graphic designers, performers and co-ordinator
Anything left will be put directly into our campaign for our next event, as we continue to work towards our main festival event in summer 2021.
If you are a company or organisation that shares our ideals and would like to donate funds, equipment, prizes (e.g. clothing, records, hardware) or something similar, please feel free to contact as to discuss partnership opportunities. We love to find and connect with people and organisations that share our vision.
Everyone in our LoudBase team deeply appreciates your support. So many of us do this work for free, out of pure love for Africa, Nigeria, our community and Hip Hop culture. We look forward to welcoming you into our community.
Thanks, Love and Blessings!
Latest posts by Apex Zero (see all)
- VILLAGE101…AN UNTOLD SAGA — June 21, 2022
- LOUD BASE NIGERIA | SUPPORT ‘AFRICA FIRST’ HIP HOP COMMUNITY — January 8, 2021
- NEW MUSIC | WATUSI87 ‘NO JUSTICE NO PEACE’ — June 13, 2020