2017 has been a year full of great live music events, here is my personal top 5 of ones I experienced!
5. Re:imagine: Wu Tang Revisited – 20 Years On at XOYO had every throwing up their ‘W’s’, enjoyed this venue very much the lasers and lights were on point and there was a lot of crowd interaction, a couple of fans even got to spit some verses themselves. Live band brought a whole new level of sound, from violins to drums but my favorite was the bongos!
4. The Miseducation Anniversary: A Live Rendition celebrated a sold out rendition of Lauryn Hill’s album ‘the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill’ at the Jazz Café. Another intimate venue, everyone was singing along, the live band was incredible as were the vocals! The atmosphere was electric as young Jazz musicians paid tribute to the classic album.
3. Pharoahe Monch – my first time seeing him live and I definitely felt the presence of a very wise man, it made me go back through his discography. ‘Simon Says’ had everyone in a frenzy it was hype!! He came with a bit of a theatrical performance, simulating shooting himself in the head, providing visual imagery to highlight he issue of gun violence. All in all this was a very powerful performance and a very enjoyable one.
2. Nas live at the 02 Academy in Leeds — he dropped a few snippets of tracks he never performs like, ‘I Want to Talk to You’ and in today’s volatile political climate it was enough to get true fans down the front super hyped, we wanted more. There was a very heartfelt tribute to Prodigy who passed away this year. As usual for Nas shows the crowd was very diverse, I met a lot of cool people and we reminisced on the days when hip hop was very different.
1. Cormega Live at Chip Shop — My favorite event of the year has to be the book signing and performance by Cormega from QB New York. There is nothing quite like being surrounded by real fans of an artist while he’s going hard at it and you can’t get more intimate than Brixton’s Hip Hop Chip Shop, what feels like the home of Hip Hop in London to me. Highlight of the night was hearing Mega’s perfrom his verse from, ‘Killaz Theme’.
Looking forward to what 2018 has in offer!
Latest posts by Faizah Cyanide (see all)
- REVIEW | NAS RELEASES THE LONG AWAITED ‘LOST TAPES 2’ (@Nas) — July 22, 2019
- KANYE WEST TALKS #METOO, MENTAL HEALTH AND DONALD TRUMP WITH DAVID LETTERMAN — June 17, 2019
- BOOK REVIEW |MARC LAMONT HILL ‘NOBODY’ — CASUALTIES OF AMERICA’S WAR ON THE VULNERABLE, FROM FERGUSON TO FLINT AND BEYOND — June 11, 2019